Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sun Sun Sun SUN


Being back in Florida was a little anticlimactic at first...  I had been really looking forward to the rain and thunderstorms that come with a Florida summer, but this was a little ridiculous. 

A typical Florida summer day is supposed to go as follows...

Sunrise.
Beautiful sunny morning.
Hot sunny noontime, with maybe a hint of clouds.
Sudden tropical downpour, with really badass thunder and lightning, the kind of clouds that look awesome and fierce as the sun sets, all pink and raging with flickering talons of enraged electric terror clawing across the face of the sky....The kind of storm that looks so wicked and apocalyptic as you drive down the highway towards it, you feel like you should be playing ACDC and hanging out the windows screaming.
Then the storm disappears, the sky clears as though nothing so energetic and raw had ever happened. The only hint is the steaming and humid earth as the sun sets, for a clear hot summer night.

And so the cycle repeats itself...

But for the first 10days that I was back in Florida, this normal pattern was not so.  Instead it was day after day of rain.  Just steady, continuous, grey sky rain.  Sometimes it rained hard. Sometimes it rained soft (that annoyingly soft rain...where it's not light enough that you can go outside and DO anything -the weather sucks just enough to trap you inside, but at the same time the sheer WEAKNESS of the rain annoys you and you'd prefer that the clouds would just grow a pair and really pour).  It was like there was a cyclone/hurricane sitting over Florida, but it wasn't.  V.strange.  I'm not really complaining...Florida needed a good rain, and I like the sound of rain, so no biggie...

But anyway, finally, there has been some nice sunny Florida days.  I'm even slowly getting some colour back to my complexion...(not too much at a time though -after 4months in Russia I need to wean my melanin back onto vitamin D slowly.  I'm pretty sure that too much direct exposure to sunlight would send my body into shock and kill me)...  In fact I intend to return to the beach tomorrow.  Huzzah!  Or, as they say in Russia, "Ooo-rrrah!"




No comments: