Thursday, May 7, 2009

Another Bim?


Moscow has something St Pete ain't got.... Starbucks.  And although it's fairly lame to give in and buy something so ridiculously american while visiting another country, after a looooooong day of walking around Moscow after a 9 hour train ride, it was nice to have a cup "saboy" (to go...literally, "to you").

But here's what was interesting... We sat down at a table outside to rest a moment, and on the table was an old and empty cup, left by a previous customer (funny thing in Russia, noone is expected to clean off their own trays or tables in fast food restaurants.  Many a time I have gone to do so, and been intercepted on the way by a woman in an apron, as though she thought I was going to walk out the door with it).


I had to get a photo...







My cup is the one on the left... You'll notice that the cup on the right has the same first 3 letters as my own...so essentially it says "Bim"...or more literally "Beeem".

Now it's far more likely that "Beeem" in Russian  is just Starbucks shorthand for whatever type of drink that guy had had...but still, I felt like I'd made some kind of passing fateful, connection...  I've never met another Bimini (although I know they exist), and I'll be crushed if one of them becomes well known for something before I do.  Having a different name is great, I love my name, but it would suck if one of the other Bimini's winds up on MTV dating Tila Tequila or something...I prefer "Bimini hey? Wow, that's unusual!" to "Bimini? Like that other chick...?"

Meanwhile, people in Russia don't have any trouble spelling my name.  When I go to a Starbucks in the states, it's easier for me to make up a name (I usually go with "Minnie", like "mini" from "Bimini" -which Charley HATES with a passion) simply because it's easier than having to repeat myself, and then spell it out, repeat again, and spell it out again, when there is a queue of angry impatient coffee addicts waiting behind me. But because Russian is so very phonetic (although not entirely, don't be fooled!) spelling isn't really an issue.  

Russians are really into nicknames....almost any name can have an "ochka" or something thrown on the end, and voila! be It comes a cute Russian familial.  In fact, reading Russian stories can be confusing as hell, because one person will have 3 or 4 different names, depending on who is talking to them.  Sadly, I have not been given one.  Even "Bima" hasn't happened, which Dr Denner had guessed might evolve.  If a Russian is confused by my name, sometimes I suggest "Bima", and then they look at me strangely thinking I said "Dima", when it's obvious that my name couldn't possibly be Dmitri.... so I'll alway be Beemeenee I suppose...

On another note... It's Friday, my last day of class :(  I tried to find thank-you cards for my teachers, but was extremely unsuccessful.  Tomorrow is Victory Day, so the stores are filled with VictoryDay cards... and Nevsky Prospect is gorgeous, completely decked out with ribbons and banners etc.  Big parades tomorrow, that I'll go into town to see.  But our teacher warned us that it was probably better to go home in the early evening...tomorrow is the day where the Russians REALLY demonstrate their alcohol-imbibing abilities, and she told us that it's not pretty.  Somehow hearing a Russian woman describe something as "Not pretty" in Russian, (nee krassiva) is hilarious and very cool at the same time.

I'm planning to drop off a travel bug this afternoon... Aside from that, no idea what to do with my last Friday. I'm sure I'll think of something.



4 comments:

Charley said...

You'll be the first ever famous Bimini, promise =D

Aaron said...

Victory day? And what exactly is this supposed victory they're celebrating? ,

Bimini said...

A very good question Aaron...very good question indeed. Let's just say that "Victory" isn't reeealllly the best/most accurate work they could have chosen...

Bimini said...

*word