Thursday, February 12, 2009

Болезнь


I have a cold, and it sucks.  :(  Having an awful cough and constant headaches in sub-zero temperatures is no fun.  I'm not very tough when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm a real sook.

(sook is an aussie word for wuss/someone who's a bit of a crybaby/whinges and complains)

I knew it would happen eventually, Heather my roommate has been sick for awhile.  But I'd been taking vitamins and eating veggies, hoping and denying that I would succumb as well.  But the room is so tiny it was really bound to happen.

Anyway, I've been dragging myself to class in the mornings because supposedly if I miss more than 10% of my classes, my student visa can be revoked (although I don't think our teachers take attendance, so if I haven't improved by next week I might have to wag)...

(wag is an aussie word for playing hookey)

....but I feel really guilty for missing work at my internship.  I've been trying to do work on my computer in the dormitory for them, but god it is so hard to do translations when you have a pounding headache and keep bending forward to hack your lungs out.  

I have some azithromycin I could take, but my roommate is sick too, and has been for about two weeks now.  She says she'll probably be sick for at least another 2 weeks (she has tonsil issues), so I don't want to take the azithromycin and waste it because I just get reinfected immediately.  However, I also don't want it to turn into something ghastly like pneumonia. Le sigh.

I have more to update y'all on, (like the creepy Russian guy yesterday who was trying to get me to go to a cafe with him, and not leaving me alone until I ducked into a shop to throw him off), but my head is pounding and I used up all my energy tonight making chicken soup.  Who woulda thought cutting up garlic and onion, and ransacking a chicken carcass would be so exhausting?  Today my teacher told me to fill a sock with salt and put it on my face, but I looked it up online and can only find that it's good for earaches.  Maybe she recognises the symptoms, and I have contracted a deadly Russian flu that starts out with a cough but eventually progresses to the ears...? I don't know.

A guy in my class who's from SanDiego just switched up to a more difficult level.  I was considering joining him, but I don't want to risk that until I'm better.  I elicited laughs today when I stated "I don't have a hat" when I was supposed to be asking a fellow classmate what time she wakes up.  We're just doing really basic grammatical stuff that I'm fairly sure would make Dr Denner and Olga cry in shame if they saw what a rudimentary class I'm in, but until I can follow what's going on again, I shall remain there.  I like my teacher, she's one of the few Russians that smiles.  Besides, it is good for me, because I'm going over a lot of vocab, and really cementing the basics down.  I used to always screw up my adj.endings for all the cases, and screw up the genitive all the time (which is a very important case) but I don't any more.  At least, I didn't until I got sick.

So send me good vibes and positive thoughts, pray that I recover. I wanted to go to the Zoological Museum this weekend, now I'm not going anywhere.

If anyone wants to chance the Russian postal system (it's not recommended that you try to send anything too valuable -Heather hasn't recieved any of the packages her family has sent her while she's been here), send me some nyquil and other american drugs like that.  I thought I had an entire pantry full, but it looks pretty meagre from this side of a cold.

LOVES,
Bimini

1 comment:

Michael said...

that sucks, bim. i'm sorry to hear you're sick. being sick away from mom/boyfriend/wife caretaker makes being sick, well, sicker.

switch to the more difficult class, tho it's never bad to have a refresher.

~mad