Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Accents


I took a Voice and Diction class a year ago, and I really enjoyed it.  In particular, I learned techniques that help me dissect an accent, in order to correctly reproduce it.  Although as part of my final grade I performed a monologue in a Russian accent, I haven't really been able to get the hang of speaking RUSSIAN with a russian accent.  I guess it's just too much to think about...or maybe it's because I stick out so badly as a foreigner that subconsciously I realise there is no point in even trying to hide it.

I've had people ask if I'm from Finland, Italy, Greece, and of course America.  What's funny is that they never ask "where are you from", it's always "oh, you're from Italy".  This may just be russian sentence structure, but the presumptuous nature of it amuses me.

Really I think most of those nationalities are assumed because I have dark hair and skin (at least comparatively so... after almost 4 months of winter I'm paler than I've ever been).  But still, the study of accents and the way they are received really intrigues and amuses me.  I can't for the life of me understand the Chinese students in my class when they speak russian, and the Belgium guy Pieter makes me laugh with the most random comments, simply because his accent is so deadpan.  Laura on the other hand (from Mexico), sounds like she's speaking Spanish even when she's speaking russian or english.

Anyway, here's a little bit of standup on accents that I find humorous.  Hope you enjoy.


No comments: